Tuesday 31 May 2016

City Picnic, Belfast

I recently took a trip to Belfast for a night with my sister and had read up alot about City Picnic before I went and thought it was definitely one I needed to try for myself.

For anyone that doesn't know City Picnic is located at 2-6 Castle Street, Belfast BT1 1HB, United Kingdom ( Just down the lane between Zara and Primark). It is basically a fast food venue but the quality of the food they provide and how it is presented makes it more of an upper class venue.




The choice of decor captures the uniqueness of the venue and there is a real modern , clean , fresh vibe to the place. It uses a combination of bright neon decor, picnic benches and general furniture that could be used in a garden but has a very minimalist feel to the place.


On looking at menu's I am always quite skeptical of whether things are gluten free or not and when looking at this menu I was convinced that there was no way that everything on the menu could be gluten free - I was wrong. When I went to the counter to place my order and explained that I was coeliac I was informed that everything...yes EVERYTHING on the menu could be made gluten free and safe for coeliacs. All of which can be seen  seen here .As I said I had researched City Picnic before I went there and had heard that they do the best gluten free burger that you will ever have and even non coeliacs raved about it so I was definitely getting that.



I went with the burger with chips and a strawberry milkshake as can be seen above. All the burgers in city picnic are served medium so are slightly pink on the inside but super tastey. The best part was that they come with a gluten free onion ring and side of coleslaw and a gherkin. To be honest, onion rings were never my thing before being Coeliac but when it's something you know you can't have normally and it's there in front of you, it somehow makes it taste a whole lot nicer lol.


On this occasion I noticed the chips I got were pretty burnt by comparison to a lot of the pictures I had seen of other people's meals, but they were still tastey. The milkshake - best thing I have ever tasted. My only problem was that my belly was bursting from having eaten so much but I refused to leave any behind me.

I would 100% recommend this place for any coeliac spending a day shopping or anytime in Belfast, it really does have such a relaxed atmosphere where I wasn't once panicking about what I was getting as they were answering all the questions I had before I even got a chance to ask them. Brilliant spot, if only there were more like it.




More details can be seen on their website http://www.citypicnicbelfast.com/